Brightwell Hall

On the site of an earlier manor house, Brightwell Hall was built in 1663 by Sir Samuel Barnardistan whose father was Sir Samuel Barnardiston of Kedington, a prominent Suffolk Puritan. Sir Samuel created a grand H-shaped mansion that is depicted in an engraving by Kip and Knyff dated 1707 surrounded by extensive formal gardens typical of the Restoration period, although it is unclear if it was an idealised depiction. It shows numerous enclosures containing parterres, lawns and orchards. Water features included a large pond linked to an ornamental canal with terraced walkway overlooked by a banqueting house and a smaller canal with summerhouse. Entry to the mansion was via a grand avenue. The house was demolished c. 1760 and remaining farm buildings became a farmhouse, also named Brightwell Hall. The estate was broken-up and sold in 1945. The house site has been redeveloped into a residential property with new formal gardens and a lake as depicted on the 1707 engraving. Linear earthworks remain that are likely to relate to avenues and walkways attached to the seventeenth century house.
Not open to the public

Brightwell Hall Read More »

Brightwell Parish