Cavenham Hall

A house named Cavenham Hall existed when Cavenham Park was created in the late-eighteenth century. It stood close to the village towards the northern boundary of the parkland with stables and walled garden nearby. The house was demolished at the end of the nineteenth century and a new hall was built more centrally in the park to designs by Andrew Noble Prentice, known for his Arts and Crafts buildings. He also designed a new stable block and coach house on the site of the old house and two entrance lodges. A formal garden with lawns, paths, flowerbeds and pedestals to the rear of the new house are also believed to have been by Prentice. Henry Ernest Milner designed a number of features in the gardens, including a hedged rose garden, rock garden and fernery. It is likely that Pulhamite, the artificial stone, was used for various pedestals, ornaments and rockwork. Cavenham Hall was demolished in 1947 and most of the gardens were lost. Much of the parkland survives, as do the stables and coach house, having been converted to residential properties.
Not open to the public

Cavenham Hall Read More »

Cavenham Parish