Heveningham Hall

At the beginning of the eighteenth century a formal wilderness garden was laid out around a former manor house on the site of today’s Helmingham Hall. By the middle of the century the parkland was extended by the Vanneck family and soon after the house was rebuilt, with James Wyatt later contributing the east façade, garden orangery, temple and south lodges. In 1782 Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown produced plans to ornament the landscape park, pleasure grounds and kitchen garden with its crinkle-crankle wall, and rebuild the stable block, although few were implemented at the time. In the mid-nineteenth century the garden on the south front of the house was remodelled. The mansion and parkland remained unaltered into the twentieth century and, passing through a number of hands, fell into disrepair and suffered two fires. In the 1990s Helmingham Hall Estate was bought by the present owners and an extensive restoration programme began on the mansion, the completion of many of Brown’s proposals and the addition of a new south garden to replace the formal Victorian terraces.
Not open to the public except for special events

Heveningham Hall Read More »

Heveningham Parish